Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It is 2 weeks post-hernia surgery, and I am beginning to return to the land of the living. Apparently, I was so drugged that I told my teenagers who were staying with their grandparents that my husband was not feeding me or the dogs. This is just one of the conversations that I don't remember. For the record, Hector vehemently denies trying to starve me, and the dogs aren't talking. And if I talked to you right after surgery, please call me again and repeat the conversation that we had; chances are pretty good that I have no memory of it. I am now regretfully off the drugs and am trying to navigate in my post-hernia world. I have been instructed not to lift anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. Yes, 6 WEEKS! My reality is reeling. No vacuuming, mowing, picking up laundry baskets, and the list goes on. I sounds like nirvana except for the fact that my hubby has a work-related back injury and can't lift anything. We are a matched crippled couple and our home is rapidly deteriorating.

There are so many things that I take for granted. My first trip to the grocery store was ridiculous; I was craving watermelon and had devised a plan that involved finding a sympathetic worker at the grocery store and a kind neighbor. Luckily, those cute little melons were available. They don't taste quite as good as your garden variety 15 lb melon, but anything that keeps me from being filleted open again is a good thing. After getting home, instead of scooping up 3-4 bags in each hand, I carried in the grocery bags one at a time. Then I had to take a nap.

I have just enough energy to make simple meals. The silver lining is that this is a wake-up call for me to take better care of myself. Not being able to do the simplest things for myself because of pain has really made me appreciate good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment